Get back into writing and develop a productive writing habit in this intimate, inspiring, and highly interactive 6-week course.
CLASS SIZE LIMITED: 15 students maximum
DATES: September 9 - October 21
It has been an unusual year. If your plans to write fell by the wayside, you're not alone. The Fall Writing Reboot is designed to help you start writing again. In this six-week course, you'll set clear and manageable goals, develop a writing habit, get one-one-one feedback on your writing, and be part of a passionate community of writers.
Every week, you'll receive:
- Two new videos
- A live one-hour group session*
- A short, manageable assignment
- Feedback on your writing (up to 1500 words) from Michelle
- Access to the discussion forum
In our weekly live video sessions*, we'll talk story and process, and discuss strategies to achieve your goals. You can ask me anything. I'm here to listen and to share with you the insights I've learned over a 20-year writing career. All of the live sessions will be recorded so you can replay them at your leisure.
*Scroll down for live session dates.
Submitting Your Work
- Submit up to 1500 words per week to me via email.
- You can submit your work to me every week, or submit it intermittently. For example, if you want to write three 3,000-word short stories or essays, you can submit a story every other week.
- You can even wait and submit 9,000 words to me at the end of the course.
Who will benefit from this course?
- Anyone who wants to begin writing or get back into writing
- Anyone who wants to develop a writing habit
- Anyone who needs inspiration and encouragement to begin or continue writing
- Anyone who will benefit from goal-setting and structure
Do I need to have a project in mind to take this course?
No, just come as you are! We will be doing a lot of exploratory writing, including flash fiction and short memoir. Assignments will be customizable for your genre. If you are already working on a novel, memoir, or script, the Fall Writing Challenge will help you generate ideas and regain your momentum, but a current project or project idea is not a prerequisite.
What you will accomplish in this course:
The outcomes of this course will depend upon the goals you set in week one. Here are sample goals for the class:
- Write the first few chapters of a novel
- Write a short story to completion and submit it for publication
- Continue to develop your novel-in-progress
- Get back into a writing groove
- Outline your novel or TV/film script
- Figure out what genre you want to write in
- Make the time to write and develop a solid writing habit
- Transform your personal story into fiction or begin your memoir
- Unblock your creativity
- Rebuild your confidence
Live sessions will be held on alternating Wednesdays and Saturdays at 11:00 a.m. PST, Noon MT, 1:00 CST, 2:00 p.m. EST
Dates are tentatively scheduled as follows:
- Saturday, Sept. 12
- Wed, Sept. 16
- Saturday, Sept. 26
- Wed. Sept. 30
- Saturday, Oct. 10
- Wed, Oct. 21
Just bring yourself! During these inspiring six weeks, you will write, learn, share the stories you want to share, and learn how to carve out small spaces of time to do the creative work that matters to you.
Michelle Richmond is the New York Times bestselling author of five novels and two award-winning story collections. Her books have been published in 30 languages. She has taught in the Masters of Fine Arts programs in creative writing at the University of San Francisco and California College of the Arts and has served as Distinguished Visiting Writer at St. Mary's College of Moraga, Bowling Green State University, and Notre Dame de Namur University. She has also designed and taught novel writing courses online for Stanford Continuing Studies. She is the founder and publisher of Fiction Attic Press, which discovers and promotes work by new writers.
StartIntro Video Part 1: Starting a Habit, Setting Goals, & How Not to Do Math (10:06)
StartIntro Video Part 2: What will you write this week? Plus Wild Card Days (6:17)
PreviewVideo: The Evolution of Story Ideas (7:04)
StartSetting Manageable Goals
StartAssignment: Building from a Remembered Detail
StartExperiment: A Modeled Story
StartDownload: Week 1 Goal Sheet & Schedule
StartHow to Submit Your Writing to Me
StartWeek One Discussion
StartWeek One Share Space (optional)
StartSept. 12 Zoom Replay (72:20)